Sunday, April 3, 2011

San Diego Conference

This past week I was able to attend the American Alliance for Health Physical Education Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD) annual conference that just happened to be held in San Diego this year. The same location where I served my mission, coincidence that I attended this years conference...maybe maybe not. The conference was really good and a great educational opportunity for me and a chance to see several of my old colleagues and friends from the University of Idaho. In the evenings, I was also able to drive around and visit individuals and places that meant a lot to me during my time on the mish.
I was really looking forward to hearing what Drew Brees would have to say but was sadly disappointed. It was still pretty cool to see him though. He currently serves as the co-chair for the President's Council on Physical Fitness, Sport, and Nutrition and was speaking as part of the National Association on Sport and Physical Education (NASPE) which is a branch of AAHPERD.
I went by and finally visited the updated and new Mormon Battalion. This site was actually in one of my districts when I served. The building I remember was completely destroyed and replaced with a new state of the art visitor center. When the church does something, they sure do it right. All the records were digitalized and could be e-mailed to you as well as pictures of patrons becoming honorary members of the Battalion. Portraits and windows of people actually talked and told the story of the Battalions journey to the west as you go from room to room. It was really impressive. It is the best interpretive site I have ever seen.
Above is the profile of Levi Hancock which is one of Celeste's ancestors. This information now can be easily e-mailed to people from the site. It was pretty cool reading all the history and discovering that Levi Hancock was the only general authority that joined the Battalion.
I also visited the temple one evening. I almost forgot how beautiful this temple really is. It is absolutely breathtaking on the outside and only gets better on the inside as you enter the Celestial room. A very unique temple with a two story Celestial room and which also boasts of the seal of Melchizedek throughout the grounds and the temple walls and windows. It is by far one of my favorites!
Besides the educational sessions the highlight of the trip was being able to spend an evening with one of my favorite investigators and now members of the church, Don Millsberg. I was lucky enough to see Don get baptized and was there the first time he attended the temple. It was so great being able to catch-up with him and his life as well as talk about my life. He is quite the individual and strong member of the church. I have been really blessed to know him.

3 comments:

The Knudsen Family said...

That sounds like such a fun trip. We love going to San Diego. That temple is so beautiful but we haven't yet had the chance to go inside. That is nice that you were able to bot business and pleasure. And visit places from you mission.

Chelsea said...

I am glad you were able to hook up with Don. That is so fun. It looks like you had a great time...too bad your family wasn't with you.

Jackee said...

How fun for you! That is wonderful you got to go back to San Diego. I used to go to those conferences. Maybe I should get back into the field and we could meet at conferences around the nation:)!