Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hawaiian Beach Bum Wanna Be's

The Bellows
Our last day in Hawaii we decided we should try and get some family pictures on the beach. We headed over to the bellows which is a military facility mainly used for vacations for military personnel. It has some really pretty beaches and views. It was a little windy though so hair was flying everywhere and Brindi had a hard time looking into the wind. That is probably why she didn't smile much. But I think some of them turned out pretty good.




Hanauma Bay
Hanauma Bay is a Nature Preserve thats main purpose is to preserve the reef in the bay. It is the best place to go snorkeling. This was probably my favorite thing we did in Hawaii. The first time I went under I almost head bunted this two foot long teal looking fish. It was crazy. I think I also saw every fish that was in "Findind Nemo." It was pretty cool. The kids continued to love to play in the sand and I am sure Brindi consumed way more than she should have but what are you going to do.



I love this picture. You would think it was cold in Hawaii or something.

Sand BarOne day we headed over to the other side of the island and entered the marine base to rent a pantoon boat for the the day. About a mile or more off the shore there was a Sand Bar. When we arrived there was a portion of the sand bar about the size of a half a basketball court that was above the water. The rest of the sand bar was only about ankle deep which was pretty cool. We brought our lawn chairs and put them out in the middle of the sand bar where the water was barely covering the sand. It was actually a pretty cool little spot. We also brought the wake board to pull the kids around on. We had both, Bryant and Brindi on the board for a little bit. Brindi however would not get off the board. She loved being pulled around all over the sand bar. Some of the pictures you can see how excited she was. She was waving her arms, smiling and her ankles were turning as fast as I have ever seen them. A sure sign she is enjoying life. She is such a cute girl. After about a hour at the sand bar the portion that was above the water was not covered and it just kept getting deeper as the tide kept coming in. So we took off and headed back to the Marine Base. On the way we circled around coconut island the famous island where Giligan's Island was filmed.
Just chilin at the Sand Bar
On the ride back to the shore
Just hangin out on the boat

Wameai Beach

After our walk through the Wameai Valley we crossed the street to the beach on the North Shore. This is actually a really dangerous beach for kids. The water acts as a suction cup. The splashes up on the beach and the beach does not gradually decline into the ocean it has a pretty steep drop off so when the water reseeds it is actually sucked back into the sea practically pulling anything in the water into the ocean and sort of drags you under if you don't move. That is why you see Taryn giving Celeste the bear hug. And if you notice you can see Celeste's toes and that is because they are actually getting drug into the ocean. That is also why the water looks so dirty. You really have to grind your feet into the beach or drag your butt hard to stop yourself from getting drug in. Taryn had fun holding tight to Celeste and I but it was a little scary.
The first time we drove by this beach Celeste told this story of how when she was in Hawaii with a basketball team she jumped off this big rock into the ocean. Naturally I had to raz her a little bit. Its amazing what peer pressure can do. The above picture is my beautiful wife contemplating wether its worth jumping or living with her husband making fun of her for not jumping. She picked the first choice. She indeed jumped, but I missed it on the camera. I am just not as good as Celeste at taking pictures as you can see from the one she took of me below.

Laie Point
One day we took a quick trip to Laie Point. No beach but its close to the water. This hole in the rock was pretty sweet looking. The water around Hawaii is amazing. Towards the end of the point there were a ton of crabs as big as your hand. I tried getting a good picture of them but was attacked by a crashing crab. Also the rocky island that is shown below has this weird looking rock formation on top of. I can't imagine what idiot swam in the crazy water to get to the island to construct the formation. Oh well, it was cool to see.

Shark's Cove
After the Dole Plantation we made our way to Turtle Beach and Shark's Cove. Sad to say the turtles were not out so we didn't stay there long. We did try and get Brindi used to the water and as you can see she didn't want anything to do with it. But it must have been since she didn't have her swim suit on. Once we arrived at Shark's Cove and changed her into her swimsuit she was ready to go. She also learned how yummy sand tasted and seemed to not get enough of it even though Celeste and I tried really hard to prevent her from eating it to no avail. Once she was in the water she loved it. She really loved trying to walk in the water. But her and Bryant seemed to have a blast. We were able to stay there for quite a long time. Eventually the clouds decided to come in and we were rained out but it was great to be on the beach in such a beautiful place.

Finding more sand to eat!

Brindi helping cousin Bryant into the water.
Playing together in the water.
After a day at the Beach we had to stop by Matsumoto's for some shaved ice. Several people highly recommended this place and after my first sample I tried to convince Celeste and Amber to go to North Shore everyday just so I could get me another Shaved Ice. It is the greatest thing since sliced bread! If your ever in Hawaii make sure you stop by and don't forget the Ice Cream and Condensed Milk.

12 comments:

Winsor said...

I recently told Amy to eat shaved ice with ice cream. It is delicious. The pictures in the water of Brindi and Bryant are adorable.

mayna and randy said...

Looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

lizzylovell said...

I am still here just a little behind! I am glad yu had a good trip. So did Brindi ever crawl? Is she walking? She sure like to ride he little car.

Winsor said...

I just noticed the new pictures on the side. They are way cute.

Jackee said...

I'm glad you guys had such a great trip! I love the pics of Brindi at the beach. Don't worry about the sand, every kid needs to eat some:)!

The Chambers said...

I'm so jealous of your Hawaiian adventure! You guys did so much, looks like you had a ton of fun! You and Brindi are so beautiful! LOVE IT!

Mary said...

I am so jealous you guys are in Hawaii and we're not! But I am so so happy to see and read that you guys are having so much fun. Glad you got the shaved ice! The best anywhere. don't forget to get some real polynesian food. no,not talking about L&L's. Have fun guys!

Mary said...

wait! are you guys back?

Chelsea said...

I love your family pictures. I can't believe Celeste was able to catch Brindi in the air on camera. That is awesome.

Tia J said...

What a fun trip! I am jealous. Hawaii is somewhere I would always love to go. It looks like you guys had a great time and the pictures were great. Brindi is looking older and is so cute.

Jackee said...

I love the family pics. It looks like you guys had a great time at all the different beaches. We loved snorkeling in Hanauma Bay, too. It was just too bad Troy didn't realize all of his sunscreen had washed off and he got so burnt!

Cassa Carter said...

Ok I am so jealous that you went to Hawaii. We are trying to plan a trip somewhere, and I would love it to be hawaii. Thanks for the help with the picture info. One day I will actually try to get it done.