I headed to the American Camp Association's Mid-states Conference in Chicago again this year and Celeste decided she wanted to join me. I was thrilled with the idea and so we made arrangements for Grammy Hancock to fly out and watch the girls while Levi joined his mom and dad for a little time together. We made the drive and tried to enjoy the best Chicago had to offer in March.
One of the most stops was the Field House Natural History Museum. This place is amazing with all the history of Egypt, Africa, and the Americas. I was really excited to go here ever since I watched "The Ghost and the Darkness" about the two lions in Africa that killed over 140 people over a 9 month period. CRAZY UH? You can see the two lions above. Celeste was more excited to see the T-Rex bones. We were both impressed and spent a lot of time in the Egyptian portion of the museum. It was fascinating to learn about their mummification process and what they believed in the after life. I found some very similar beliefs to those of the Mormons. I love making those connections.
Our first night in town we headed to the Sears tower to experience the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere and to venture out on the Sky Deck. The sky deck is a ledge made of complete glass that extends off of one of the highest floors. You are able to see straight down! It was scary to say the least and I did not want to step out on it. I actually had to just look up as I stepped out on the ledge. I am deathly afraid of heights! Celeste obviously is not scared and enjoyed sitting down on the job as you can tell from the pictures. Very cool experience but very frightening!
We also took the time to enjoy some classic Chicago eateries by stopping by Giordano's Pizza. Chicago is famous for their classic Pizza Pie. A thin crust on the bottom then the fixins and another thin crest and then the pizza sauce on the top. Basically a stuffed pizza with sauce on top.
The trip was a blast besides one small part...Levi. He was a terrible sleeper and was up almost every hour. Celeste took the brunt of it as I had to go to the conference during the days. I felt kind of bad but it did take a toll on both of us. As for the conference, it was very good. Several sessions were flat out incredible!



No comments:
Post a Comment